Yesterday was World Vegetarian Day and marked the start of Vegetarian awareness month so I thought I’d share one of my favorite ways to serve up a tasty vegan salad without animal products. I love using fresh and seasonal fruit to up the nutrition and taste of salads. Small markets can be a great place to find inspiration and unusual ingredients. I found some fresh pistachios this week and couldn’t resist bringing some home. They have such a delicate flavor and texture compared to what you find on the typical supermarket shelf. The dressing is nice and light and pairs well with the fruit.
While I am not a vegetarian I do love to load my diet with as many fresh fruits and vegetables as possible. I find I feel better and it’s easier to maintain my weight following a mostly vegetarian diet. I’ll be sharing some of my favorite recipes all month long so be sure to check back for more inspiration!
- ½ teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon honey
- juice of ½ lime
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 plums, stone removed and sliced
- 4 dates, pitted and chopped
- 4 cups baby arugula
- ¼ cup roasted pistachios, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped mint
- In a bowl, whisk the ginger, honey, and lime and slowly whisk in the olive oil until well combined. In a large bowl toss the arugula, dates, plums and mint and drizzle the dressing over the top. Toss lightly to combine taste and season with salt and pepper as needed and top with the pistachios.