We made Greek yogurt last week and I must admit that I made way too much of it. The recipe I posted was for a quart of yogurt and I made a gallon. Now as much as I love yogurt even I can’t eat a gallon of it in 2 weeks. I thought freezing the leftovers into yogurt pops would be the best alternative. I wanted to try a different flavor profile so I took some finely ground pistachios, spiced them up with a little almond extract and cardamom and sweetened them up with honey. I used a spice grinder for the pistachios but you could also pulse them in a food processor to get the proper texture. I’m already thinking ahead to my next batch, I think some roasted strawberries or a little white chocolate would be some great additions.
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup toasted pistachios, very finely ground
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1½ cups whole milk or 2 percent Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup finely ground pistachios for garnish
- Fill a large bowl with ice water.
- Combine the honey, ground pistachios, cardamom and salt in a small saucepan with the milk. Bring to just a simmer over medium heat.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl and place the bowl in the ice water bath and let stand, stirring occasionally, until cold, about 20 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into popsicle molds and freeze until firm 5-6 hours.
- Once you remove the popsicles from the molds sprinkle with the ground pistachios if desired.
This week I went old school and am sharing music from my three favorite artists. I discovered Tom Waits, Elvis Costello and Billy Bragg in my late teens and they have remained my favorite artists for the last 20 years. I have been fortunate enough to see them all perform live and they never fail to amaze me with their passion and intensity. I have spent many days driving around in my car with these songs on repeat. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!