When I’m feeling a bit under the weather or my digestion is a bit off I find benefit in starting my morning with this apple cider vinegar tonic. With natural cleansing and healing properties, apple cider vinegar helps balance your blood sugar, stimulates digestion, aids in weight loss, reduces pain and inflammation, and encourages healthy skin. To capitalize on all the benefits make sure your vinegar is raw, unfiltered and organic. My favorite brand is Bragg’s Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar. I posted a different version of this tonic a few years ago, but this is the way that I prefer to take it now.
If you’ve never tried drinking vinegar before you may want to start with a teaspoon and work your way up to two tablespoons. It can take a bit of getting used to, but I find it refreshing and palate cleansing.
Drink this warm or cold but don’t use boiling water, it can affect the beneficial properties of the vinegar. I love to spike my vinegar with a little cinnamon, so I pour a few cups into a jar, add a couple of cinnamon sticks and let it sit to infuse. I’ve tried adding a pinch to my glass, but it’s hard to mix in and leaves a weird texture in my mouth.
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 cup warm water (not boiling)
- Add one cup of warm water to a mug. Add the apple cider vinegar, turmeric, honey, lemon juice and ginger and stir well to combine. Taste and add additional honey if you would like a sweeter drink.