Do you ever have one of those days where everything seems to go exactly the opposite of how you wanted it? That was my Sunday, well it started the night before when my smoke alarm decided to start beeping every 30 seconds. I changed the battery, unhooked the unit, turned off all the power and yet it still continued to make a piercing high pitched squeak every few seconds. Just great. So I spent the night in my media room on the couch with the television on to drown out the noise. The next morning after fiddling with the alarm for 45 minutes I couldn’t make the noise stop entirely, but at least it’s quietly beeping at me now.
Then I tried to shoot a recipe I’ve been working on, and it was a complete failure, so that had to be the scratched and something else created in its place.
Next, I took my son to have lunch, but once we got to the restaurant, I realized that I had forgotten my wallet. A bit of scrounging around in my backpack and the car and I was able to come up with enough cash to pay for lunch but then realized that I couldn’t do the grocery shopping I had planned since I was without any money. I drove back home grabbed my wallet, drove back downtown, did my shopping, picked up my son and took him home. Then I drove him to the gym; then I drove him to a friends house to study, then I had to drive myself to the gym, drive back home, drive to pick him up. Needless to say, it felt like I spent most of my day in the car.
So today I wanted to keep it simple. And easy. And quick. And this five-minute blueberry coconut soft serve ticks all the boxes. Frozen blueberries, coconut milk, maple syrup, lime zest and juice take a quick turn in the food processor for a delicious and guilt-free treat anytime. If you don’t eat it all in one sitting, it will freeze solid, so I store leftovers in Ziploc bags. When I want to have a serving, I break it up a bit, put it in a blender or food processor with a bit of non-dairy milk and blitz it until you get that lovely smooth and creamy texture that makes this so great.
- 3 cups frozen blueberries (about 16 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
- ½ cup coconut milk
- pinch of salt
- Add the frozen blueberries, maple syrup, lime juice, lime zest, coconut milk and salt to the bowl of a food processor. Process until the mixture is smooth and creamy, about 5 minutes.
- Serve the soft serve immediately or transfer it to a Ziploc bag and store in the freezer for up to 1 month. When you want to serve it again pop it back into the food processor and pulse at 5-second intervals until smooth adding a bit of non-dairy milk as needed to achieve a smooth texture