Delicious home made almond milk can be yours anytime you desire. All you need to do is soak the nuts overnight and then process them in the blender with water. Super simple, no preservatives, no artificial ingredients just almonds, vanilla, sea salt and agave.
And you don’t have to stop at almonds, try cashews, hazelnuts, pumpkin seeds or hemp the variety is endless. Sometimes I blend a few pitted dates with my almond milk for a sweet treat with added nutrition.
You can also buy a special bag just for straining your milk and it makes it even easier, I highly recommend picking one up if you plan on making your own nut milks on a regular basis.
- 1 cup almonds
- 4 cups water plus water for soaking
- 1 vanilla bean or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3 tablespoons agave or maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Place almonds in a bowl and cover with water by one inch. Soak almonds 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain almonds and rinse until the water runs clear.
- Combine almonds and 4 cups water in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth 2-3 minutes.
- Strain the mixture through a fine sieve or a double layer of cheesecloth.
- Return the milk to the blender. Scrape the vanilla bean and add the seeds to the blender or add the extract if using. Add the agave or honey and salt and blend until combined. Taste and adjust the salt and sweetener to suit your taste.