This is the time of year that I really start craving fresh, raw foods. After a few months of gluttony and heavy eating through the holidays my body really needs a break from heavy rich dishes. Starting today I’m going on a 21 day cleanse to see if I can cut out processed food, caffeine and refined sugar from my diet. I’m not following any particular plan but I’m hoping that I can change some bad habits and feel better in the process. I have been looking at a lot of diets out there and some of them seem so radical I know that I won’t be able to stick with them. I just want to cook fresh healthy food and restore my body and my mind. Eating more healthfully doesn’t mean that I can’t still share some great recipes with you all. So I hope that you will follow along with me as I start this new journey.
When I eat a salad like this, bright, clean and refreshing it makes me wonder why I want to eat any other way. This is a super simple salad starring tart juicy grapefruits. This is a combination that I never get tired of, naturally sweet dates, mint and the licorice flavor of fennel make this one of my all time favorite salads.
- For the salad:
- 1 bunch of lacinto kale, torn into bite sized pieces
- 1 grapefruit
- 1 head of fennel thinly sliced or shaved on a mandolin
- 2-3 dates, pitted and chopped
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- ¼ cup mint leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- For the dressing:
- 2 tablespoon champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Combine all the ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl, whisking in the olive oil last.
- Segment the grapefruit and squeeze any remaining juice from the flesh into the dressing.
- Place the kale and fennel in a large bowl and dress with a few tablespoons of the dressing; massage the leaves with your hands, working the dressing into the leaves. and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the grapefruit and dates and toss gently to combine. Sprinkle the almonds and mint over the top and serve with a drizzle of additional dressing if desired.